Although Georgia does not get severely hazardous winter weather conditions often, it's still essential for drivers to know the best driving practices in case of any unexpected incline weather conditions. According to Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security, it's best to minimize travel during winter weather and watch from inside. If travel is a must, it's recommended to have a mobile-ready kit for winter to keep inside your vehicle in the event of an emergency.
What Should I Know Before Traveling in Winter Weather in Georgia?
The best way to ensure the safety of everyone on the road during winter weather is to adequately prepare yourself before leaving your home. This could mean ensuring your vehicle is well maintained, leaving for your destination earlier than you usually would, or checking the news for weather updates and important information. Our team here at Dermer Appel Ruder, LLC, wants to share a few additional tips to help you better navigate your way through driving in wintry weather. Georgia drivers should know the following:
- Refrain from using features such as cruise control or making any abrupt stops or steering maneuvers.
- It can be beneficial to keep at least half a tank of gas in your vehicle during the winter in case of an unforeseen emergency.
- Slow down. Even if you do not physically see any ice or snow, there still may be some form of ice present causing the roads to be slicker. This could result in losing control of your vehicle and sliding into other lanes or completely off the road.
- Be mindful of slowed or stopped vehicles, as they may be crew workers or emergency officials responding to an incident.
- Allow more room for a safe following distance. This can be beneficial for drivers as it creates more time for reacting.
Contact a Skilled Georgia Accident Attorney
Even with proper knowledge and preparation, auto accidents are never 100% preventable, especially in hazardous winter weather conditions. If you or someone you know has been in a winter weather-related accident, our skilled attorneys here at Dermer Appel Ruder, LLC, are ready to help. With years of experience fighting cases just like yours, we understand what you are going through and want you to know that you are not alone. We are dedicated to getting you the compensation you deserve while offering you the support you need every step of the way.
Contact us today at (404) 620-2224 or visit us online to schedule your free consultation and discuss the details of your case.