Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
Trust Dermer Appel Ruder with your Georgia spinal cord injury lawsuit.
- We have a combined 80 years of litigation experience, including experience working directly with the insurance industry.
- We put our clients first, prioritizing building and maintaining relationships so we can understand your unique circumstances.
- We are not intimidated by large corporations and will take a case to trial if it is necessary to secure maximum compensation.
- We do not charge any fees unless we secure compensation on your behalf.
Defining Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury describes any damage to the bundle of nerves in the spinal cord. These nerves are responsible for conveying messages and nerve impulses from the brain to the body. Any injury to the spinal cord that interrupts this important messaging system can result in permanent, incurable loss of motor function and sensation below the point of injury (paralysis). All spinal cord injuries are serious and deserve attention from leading Georgia spinal cord injury attorneys.
Contact our spinal cord injury attorneys today for a free consultation. We’re the firm of choice to handle serious injury claims in Georgia.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
The type of spinal cord injury someone sustains will depend upon the factors involved in the accident. A bad fall, for example, could cause a different type of spinal cord injury than an auto accident. Only a physician can diagnose and classify a spinal cord injury correctly. Prompt medical attention is an absolute necessity in these catastrophic injury cases. The main spine injury types are as follows:
- Incomplete. An incomplete spine injury means that the spine is only partially severed. The survivor will, therefore, retain some function and feeling below the point of injury. The extent of disability will depend on the severity of the injury.
- Complete. A complete spinal cord injury means something has completely severed the spine, breaking off all connections between the body and brain. Victims in these cases will not retain any feeling or function below the point of injury.
- Paraplegia. This is the medical term for someone with a permanent spinal cord injury that removes sensation and movement from the lower half of the body. These injuries happen because of damage to the thoracic spine.
- Tetraplegia. This spinal cord injury is the most severe, resulting from injury to the uppermost part of the spine. People with tetraplegia lose feeling and function throughout the body, including all four limbs, the trunk, bladder, and bowel control.
No matter what type of spinal cord injury you or a loved one has suffered, reach out to an attorney to discuss your case. The odds are high that you’re eligible for significant compensation through a personal injury lawsuit in Gwinnett, DeKalb, Cobb or Fulton Counties, Georgia.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Many different factors can cause damage to the spinal cord’s discs, ligaments, or vertebrae. The most common causes according to collected data, however, are car accidents, falls, acts of violence, and sports/recreation injuries. Accidents such as diving into a shallow pool, falling from a faulty scaffold, or getting into an accident with a defective seatbelt can all cause permanent or fatal spinal cord injuries. Recovering damages for these accidents takes identifying the at-fault, or liable, party.
Georgia Spinal Cord Injury Liability
Identifying the liable party responsible for causing your spinal cord injury will require an investigation into your accident. Common liable parties include other drivers, employers, criminals, and construction site manages. The unique circumstances surrounding your spine injury will determine who will be legally accountable for paying your damages. An investigation through the Georgia spinal cord injury lawyers at Dermer Appel Ruder can help you understand liability in your specific case.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer?
Spine injuries are catastrophic. They absolutely deserve legal representation in the Georgia civil courts. Otherwise, an insurance company can take advantage of a claimant and offer far less than these permanent injuries are worth. One of our lawyers will fight for maximum compensation, even if it takes going to trial. We have everything you’re looking for in top-tier representation and more. Contact us now for your free spinal cord injury consultation.
Serving Atlanta and all surrounding areas including but not limited to Alpharetta, Duluth, Dunwoody, Johns Creek, Peachtree Corners & Roswell.
colleague, not just your attorney."
“...the BEST decision I made. He handled everything and I focused on getting well.”- Anonymous
Attentive Legal Representation
When you retain our Georgia injury attorneys, you never work with a “case manager”. We know our clients and we respond to their questions and concerns and keep them informed and involved every step of the way.
Millions Recovered for Our Clients
Since opening our firm, we have had a very high level of success in our plaintiff’s cases, recovering millions for clients throughout Georgia.
80+ Years of Experience On Your Side
We know how the insurance industry functions and how to maximize results for our injured clients. Should your case be tried by a jury, we are more than confident in the courtroom.